Hello, hello dear bees!!! Hope you had a productive Monday. As I am feeling little guilty about maintaining my consistency here on my blog, so I decided to give you small updates, I am going to shoot and upload a video on how to shop smart on my channel for next week. Probably many of you know that I have a YouTube channel and I upload videos there, mostly once in a week. I would be so happy if you follow and subscribe to my channel here.
Here I am sharing some tips I have learned over the time “how to grocery shop smartly” –
20 tips/tricks for grocery shopping:
- First and foremost tip is Categorize food item (list them down in a paper). For example- daily needs (milk, eggs, bread, vegetables, fruits etc), monthly needs (pulses, lentils, rice, flours, condiments/canned goods, snacks, toiletries etc.), frozen items, non-vegetarian items, emergency needs (medicine, house party etc.)
- Always make list before going for grocery shopping (specially when you grocery shop once in a month). It helps so much to shop within time and not roaming around in shop and thinking “what else i need “.
- Put a white board (dry/erase board) or notepad-pen (could be a magnetic notepad on your fridge door) in the kitchen always. Whenever you need a particular item, write it down. So less chance to forget and you can avoid multiple trips to grocery shop.
- Stop impulse buy. Stay away from impulse buy and buying duplicates. Your list will help you to stay on track and refrain you from buying duplicates (lot more possibility to save money in this way). Another one is, if something you picked up impulsively and dwelling upon whether to keep or not, you are on a right path to stay on budget. Discourage the thought to buy an item which you “may need” or “probably going to need”. Do not hesitate to return it while you are billing, nobody is going to remember you for this next time 🙂 I literally do this every single time…guilt 😛
- Shop around and choose store wisely. Choose store according to their discount percentage or separate them as per the price. For example some stores has always good deals on snacks or oils or some stores give good discounts than other stores on pulses, rice,flour etc.
- Do simple math before going for Buy 1 Get 1 FREE. Do a simple math with your mobile phone’s calculator before buying buy 1-get 1 free. My experience tells 70% is fake. So be careful, do not be a fool.
7. To save money, you need to find best offers. Stores have policy to hide those in best possible places, mostly back side of the racks. Find it and Simply grab it.
8. Try to pack your frozen items separately. As soon as you reach home, compartmentalization in freezer or fridge is quick and easy. It remains in the best possible state, will not be thawed or defrosted.
9. Pick your frozen item at the very last of the shopping. This way it can have little more time to have right temperature.
10. Pack your cleaning product separately too. Even if any of the product get spilled, it won’t effect your food items.
11. Always check on expiry dates considering approx usage time of the product. Probably you will find fresh items in the back of the shelf.
12. Check on flyers before entering the store. Before going to any store or supermarket you can analyse flyers and list down offered items. For an example, I live in Hyderabad, India. Here stores called Ratnadeep or Reliance fresh always keep flyer for that particular days which are under discount.
13. Check for clearance shelf . If you go to Mega More (Hyderabad, India) they always keep a section for flat 40% off items which is going to expire within two or three months or so).
14. Select your stores & make list according to their food sections. This way your grocery shopping time will be reduced because no need to return to the same section again and again for another items.
15. Decide food quantity according to your family size. If you are a beginner for grocery shopping (specially newly married ones 🙂 )then first know your family’s choice over food, you need to shop for how many members in the family etc. List down according to that and then shop. It will definitely take couple of months to understand what-to-shop and what-not-to-shop. If you buy in bulk then definitely chances are high on saving more money but if you have a small family them those bulk items will be expired soon which will lead to wastage of food and cost you more money.
16. Always take advantages of coupons, credit card reward points and membership cards. If you go to any super market, you will be getting a free membership or use your credit card while paying bills. They always have reward points (little secret, we always watch movies in cinema halls for free, thanks to our credit card points).
17. Bring your own grocery bag to the store. Here I want to request you to concentrate on saving environment than saving the 5/- rs for each bag. Keep extra bags in your car so that chances will be less of your forgetfulness.
18. Organize your food cabinet and fridge. This way you can shop efficiently. Just have a look in each section and you can easily list out your needs.
19. Meal plan. always meal plan before grocery shopping, you can save your money as well as you can stop wastage of food.
20. Shop once for dry items & every week for perishable/vegetables. This way you can increase your family time, you can save fuel and moreover you can save environment.
So bees, shop smart and enjoy your happiness in day-to-day life.
Please leave comments if you think something important i have missed out (still learning ) and hope it will help you to keep your sanity in the kitchen and if you find it helpful , please be sure to share it with friends and family. Thank you
Please give credit for this blog if you are using images elsewhere.Thanks for understanding You can edit the list as per your needs.This list is open for all.It is not private.